Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Ninth Article of Faith

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

The heavens are not closed. We have a living church that continues to unfold, grow, and be perfected. Everything as it is now is not how it once was, nor is it how it will always be.

Case in point: Women and the priesthood. In the days of Joseph Smith, women gave priesthood blessings. Today, they don't. In conference yesterday, Sis. Stephens gave a beautiful talk on how the blessings of priesthood ordinances help us to become like God. I loved that talk because the crux of my study and learning on this issue was that women need the priesthood to become like God. Being baptized, receiving the Holy Ghost, being endowed in the temple, and being sealed in an eternal marriage are all priesthood ordinances that sanctify and bring us closer to God. This is truth.

UPDATE: Elder Andersen also gave a very beautiful talk on the role of women in the priesthood. He echoed what I've been learning and studying. That's always nice to have an apostle confirm your studying and subsequent testimony. It's like what general conference is for, or something. Anyways, he said that in the church, we have a tendency to equate men with the priesthood. It is not so. The priesthood is the power of God. He also went over the history of the priesthood and how men have always been the ones to hold it. Why is it like this? We don't know. He quoted 1 Nephi 11:17: "I know that he [God] loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things." My husband also says that Elder Andersen was addressing the fact that Pres. Monson is aware of this issue and question and knows how to ask and that he potentially has been asking. I'll have to go back and read the talk to get some quotes or the section to support this. He did not ever say, "No. This is how it is. It will never change. Only men can ever, ever have the priesthood, and those asking questions to this effect are damned sinners." Contrast that "we don't know" message with Elder Nelson's very firm black-and-white talk about sexuality and marriage.

I still stand by my testimony that someday, somehow, in this life or the next, women will have to necessarily be ordained to the priesthood because the priesthood is the power by which God created the universe. So if we believe that through exaltation we also become gods and "have all power" (D&C 132:20), we will need to have the priesthood to do so. So, to this view, perhaps women will receive the priesthood upon resurrection or exaltation.

If we're going to have the priesthood at some point, why not here? 100% of the faithful membership of the church having the priesthood seems to me that the work would progress faster, that more good could be done. I'm not seeking to counsel the leaders of the church or map out the future of the church. I'm stating what makes sense to me, through study, prayer, and logic.

The Ordain Women movement is, in my experience, a misunderstood effort. To help clarify the misunderstandings, this is their mission:
The fundamental tenets of Mormonism support gender equality: God is male and female, father and mother, and all of us can progress to be like them someday. Priesthood, we are taught, is essential to this process.  Ordain Women believes women must be ordained in order for our faith to reflect the equity and expansiveness of these teachings.
Last year the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reaffirmed its commitment to equality: “The Book of Mormon states, ‘black and white, bond and free, male and female; … all are alike unto God’ (2 Nephi 26:33). This is the Church’s official teaching.” Ordain Women embraces this statement. We are committed to work for equality and the ordination of Mormon women to the priesthood.
Based on the principle of thoughtful, faith-affirming strategic action, Ordain Women aspires to create a space for Mormon women to articulate issues of gender inequality they may be hesitant to raise alone. As a group we intend to put ourselves in the public eye and call attention to the need for the ordination of Mormon women to the priesthood. 
What they're doing is trying to bring more visibility to this issue, to ask the brethren if they could ask God if women could be ordained to the priesthood. It is not thoughtless, selfish, or without precedent (think the 1978 expansion of the priesthood to all worthy male members, a policy/doctrine change received through revelation). These members are acting on the words of Pres. Hinckley from a 1997 interview:
RB: At present women are not allowed to be priests in your Church. Why is that?

GBH: That’s right, because the Lord has put it that way. Now women have a very prominent place in this Church. They have there own organisation. Probably the largest women’s organisation in the world of 3.7 million members. There own ???. And the women of that organisation sit on Boards. Our Board of Education things of that kind. They counsel with us. We counsel together. They bring in insight that we very much appreciate and they have this tremendous organisation of the world where they grow and if you ask them they’ll say we’re happy and we’re satisfied.

RB: They all say that?

GBH: Yes. All except a oh you’ll find a little handful one or two here and there, but in 10 million members you expect that.

RB: You say the Lord has put it that way. What do you mean by that?

GBH: I mean that’s a part of His programme. Of course it is, yes.

RB: Is it possible that the rules could change in the future as the rules are on Blacks ?

GBH: He could change them yes. If He were to change them that’s the only way it would happen.

RB: So you’d have to get a revelation?

GBH: Yes. But there’s no agitation for that. We don’t find it. Our women are happy. They’re satisfied. These bright, able, wonderful women who administer their own organisation are very happy. Ask them. Ask my wife.
 
These members working with OW, or, like me, are simply expanding the conversation through blogs and facebook, are not satisfied. This is not a sin. Our dissatisfaction comes from our testimonies and understanding of the scriptures and the gospel. Again, they're asking for an answer to a question. This is the divine order of revelation and a great Mormon tradition (1978 priesthood expansion, the Word of Wisdom, the Restoration itself). The Lord will not answer a question that is not asked.

I also believe that He will not give an answer we're not ready for. The sociological statistics are that 90% of women and 52% of men oppose women's ordination. (The link is a very interesting article addressing potential reasons for the huge disparity between men's support and women's support of women's ordination. I personally find it fascinating that there is about five times more support [48% men, 10% women] among men, those who actually hold the priesthood and have had more specific and extensive training about what the priesthood is and how it works.) At least, those were the figures in 2006. If I were to bet on it, which I won't because I am an active, faithful, engaged member of the LDS church and I listen to, apply, and obey the counsel of the church's leadership (shocker! ;) ), I would say that those numbers have changed. I think more women are in favor of it now. That's purely from my own anecdotal evidence of now being in favor of women's ordination, being converted to the idea through study, prayer, and the workings of the Spirit. Back to the overwhelming number of people in the church who for their particular reasons oppose the idea of women's ordination, the official statement in denying the 200 sisters who asked to attend last night's priesthood session was:

"Millions of women in this church do not share the views of this small group who organized today's protest, and most church members would see such efforts as divisive. Even so, these are our sisters and we want them to among us, and hope they will find peace and joy we all seek in the gospel of Jesus Christ."
The support for keeping women out of the priesthood session seems to have been a mandate from the people. I'm not judging this as right or wrong, please note. I'm just noting the grounds for the refusal.

The reasons for the opposition are undoubtedly as varied as the opposers are themselves. For myself, I see no sound, doctrinal reason to oppose it. Instead, as illustrated in my previous posts, I see plenty of support for it. (Believe me, I know that people will disagree with this. I respect that. I ask for reciprocated respect for my own testimony and understanding.)

So, going on the assumption that I personally have that someday women will be ordained--and if you don't agree with that, just bear with me--can you imagine what would happen if the revelation came in this environment? I have seen, heard, and been the target of personal attacks from people who are uncomfortable with this idea. Again, for me, the source of the discomfort was the fact that my understanding of the priesthood was the cultural notion that priesthood=men. So it seems the thing to do is to continue the conversation so that more people are aware of the issue and think about it and have the opportunity to come to their own studied, thoughtful conclusions. I'm not saying that everyone will become a supporter of the idea. I'm not saying that women's ordination will necessarily happen in this life. What I am doing is advocating for a safe church environment where people can honestly and safely discuss this.

Unity and Harmony

I think it is essential that we approach this issue, regardless of what side we're on, with a spirit of harmony and unity. The final sentence in the official statement on the denial of the sisters to attend the priesthood session is a great illustration of that: "these are our sisters and we want them to among us, and hope they will find peace and joy we all seek in the gospel of Jesus Christ." We must avoid judgment, alienation, accusations, and attacks. Pres. Uchtdorf's talk from yesterday is something I will use as a touchstone. He addressed having doubts and he addressed having honest, sincere questions. One of my favorite lines was when he said that an issue could cause doubt in one member but could be a testimony-building experience for another. Studying this issue has been key in helping me overcome a three-year-long crisis of faith. I can't remember being more engaged with my faith, and I haven't been this close to God for a long, long time. So while my faith and testimony and very special spiritual experiences I've had studying this topic cannot be shaken, it hurts when people outrightly condemn this issue as being worldly, sinful, ignorant, or saying that those who support this issue are "demanding something they have no right to." No right to God's power? Nothing could be further from the truth, as illustrated throughout all of the gospel.

Further Revelation

I'm setting the issue of women's ordination completely aside, so please do not think I'm saying anything with a wink, or passive-agressively, or in any way related to that specific issue. Please set aside that issue in your mind. This is is about revelation and change to the church in general:

I do believe that, as the 9th Article of Faith says, we have yet to have many great and important things revealed. I think that to receive these further revelations, the environment of the church should be one of honest truth-seeking and acceptance of the Lord's will, whose thoughts and ways are not our ways, just as the heavens are higher than the earth (Isaiah 55:8-9).

There might be issues that the Lord wants to address or reveal to us. Who knows what they are? I can't begin to say and don't want to try. The point is: Are we being too stubborn or close-minded or "notionalized" (see here and here) to receive what the Lord wants us to ask for and have?

I do have official support for my idea. In 2007, Elder Bednar was visiting the Jacksonville, NC 2nd Ward, the ward that shared my parents' ward's building. I home during my two-week break of being an EFY counselor, so I got to see him talk when we stayed for the other ward's sacrament meeting. He said that people ask him why we always hear the same things over and over at conference (go to church, pay your tithing, etc). He said that there is so much more the brethren want to share with us and tell us, but until we actually start listening to them and going to church and paying our tithing, the brethren are kind of stuck telling us the same things over and over, like "Go to church; pay your tithing."

Having heard him say that, I thought it was interesting that Elder Bednar's talk yesterday was about paying tithing.

No comments:

Post a Comment